Welcome to the Center of the Universe for Linux on the MSI Delta 15



The purpose of this blog is to create a home and community for anyone out there also running Linux on the MSI Delta 15, and to talk about issues that have come up, and how to get things working. I'll gather links and references, and things work I've done. I'm willing to add authors if others want to write full posts here, as opposed to just participating in the comments sections.

Prior to this I ran hackintoshes for years, starting with the Dell Insprion Mini 10v, then the HP Probook 4540s, and most recently a homebuilt desktop featuring an i9-9900k and a Radeon VII GPU. Frustration with Apple's increasingly closed approach to computing, along with a desire to use the my desktop GPU in Blender and other things on the mac where support seemed inconsistent, led me to move over to Linux on my newest laptop.

A badge I got on etsy for about ten bucks.
I'm running Manjaro (though hopefully this blog will be a clearinghouse for all people running all flavors on this laptop). I've been on Unix/Linux systems for about 38 years professionally so this isn't a big new frontier for me. Though my only Linux experience has been with CentOS and RedHat in a professional setting so there is still new stuff to learn. So far, installing Manjaro has been a much easier task than any of the hackintosh installs.


One of the things I really liked about the hackintosh world, though, was that on tonymacx86 there were forums where there would be one single long thread dedicated to all the issues related to specific hardware configurations. This was often a thread-per-laptop, and you could find all the issues related to your laptop in one place. I haven't found that in the Linux world, so I'm creating this blog to create that for the MSI Delta 15. I'll have a page with all the links to all the things I find out there on the Interwebz about all versions of Linux on this laptop. And I'll be writing posts about some of my specific experiences, like getting all the special keys to do something useful, including the keyboard backlight key.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making all the Special Keys Work

Why this laptop? Why this distro?